Saturday, May 10, 2008

negative racing, defined

Ontario, I'm pretty sure that is the definition. Everyone is happy to chase, then sit up. No one wants to commit to a good effort. Well, to be fair, its not everyone; its just a majority. My only teammate (le toujours sympatique Charles Thibault) managed to attack solo on the start of the second lap as a form of anger versus the 12km/h pace we seemed content to hold. A few riders scurried across at various points with various success levels with me scrambling around to try and cover everything. Needless to say, a few got away including a very nice little move by fellow blogger (though his blogging seems a rare occurrence) James Riggs and the man himself, Evan Mundy. Eventually the move settled with 5 boys up the road, soon enough a chase group formed, and though it lasted for some time, a few of us managed to whip the pack into chase shape and pull it back with about 3-4 laps remaining. After that, everyone pretty much sat up and returned to stop and go racing. Also known as, everyone sit and wait for Oz to attack and then chase. At least this managed to shed a few more riders And allowed me to simply sit near the front on some particularly 'draft worthy' dudes and eat some food. With 2 to go, things started getting a little impatient and it became apparent that the escape would not be coming back. Just after the feed zone I got fed up with rolling at 12km/h and then chasing so put in a move of my own and had a nice little solo/Jens move. I rocked and rolled my bike all the way into the finish just holding off the field sprint after a particularly brutal head win finish straight. Good enough for 6th place, with Charles taking 2nd. Not bad for a team of 2. Hoped ourselves back into the car and then booted it down the 401 to my home for the week in beautiful Bromont, QC. I'd post some pictures of our pad, but apparently I did not bring my camera. So those will have to wait. For now, its time to hit the local pub for a celebratory brew...
I should also mention that the dude who won was approx. 112 years old from Arkansas. When I saw him go I had some type of war flashback to being on Belgian roads and getting worked of by similar old men with down tube shifters, 1 bottle and flasks of espresso/scotch. Needless to say, apparently the the flashbacks proved correct. Charles has just informed me that google tells us he is a multiple time US National Masters champ. I think there is a moral to this story....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

moral of the story - drink!
Couple of weeks back a buddy of mine had a "celebrate the cuming of spring" party.
He lives in Chelsea. So, to avoid any confusion I went to the party after doing a couple of loops in the gats.
Had 2-3 beers, I never drink so them beers hit me.
Anyhow, biking home... I swear I did mach 1000! I flew through the back roads home...
Don't know what it is in booze. Maybe it is an inhibitor to pain.
Now, yah wouldn't want to do this too many times or AA will be calling at your door.