Monday, June 2, 2008

Up and down

Wicked tt and crit, not quite so great road race. On the plus side, I blew up trying. 20:49 for the tt, and finished up in the lead group in the crit - a rainy, dark, sketchy affair. Not bad for a Saturday at the office. Got up Sunday and readied myself for a foggy, rainy, 5 degree day in the saddle. I honestly cannot say that I am adverse to these conditions. Made the lead selection on the first climb, climbing my own pace and settled into the group, rolling away with a few breaks. By the top of the climb I had even moved from 6th to 4th on GC after Oz's flat and Lachance's crash. I even had 2 teammates ahead in the GC. On the climb out of the valley, I blew. Third steep pitch (after the long false flat) I found myself 50m back of the lead group with some stragglers. It was not to last. I played in the caravan for about 15-20 mintes but never closed that final gap. Couldn't recover from the effort. That was the end of my race. I finished the day in a little chase group some 20 minutes down in the end. No one particular was willing to work with me. Ups and downs. I was pissed, but such is racing. Now, I prepare. For the Tour de Beauce. Time to dig deep and pull hard. More to come, now that I again have internet.

No comments: